About this lesson
Welcome to one of the training modules on 'Raising public awareness of cancer in community pharmacies’. There are two lessons and an assessment within each module - after you have completed each lesson you can either continue to the next one or return at another time. You can access the two lessons, even once you have completed the module. An assessment may only be launched once so cannot be accessed again and retaken.
Please note that the term 'patient' in this module will refer to patients, customers or anyone who walks into your pharmacy.
The content within this module has been developed by Essex Cancer Network.
Objective of this lesson
To maximise the role of community pharmacists and pharmacy staff in raising public awareness of different types of cancer and thereby increasing the early detection or prevention of cancer throughout the UK. By completing this programme you will be able to:
- Identify factors which will increase the risk of bowel cancer
- Know what advice you can give to patients to reduce the risk of developing bowel cancer
- Identify signs and symptoms of bowel cancer
- Understand how to engage your patients in conversation about bowel cancer
- BOPA Competencies
- Understanding cancer
- Pathophysiology and symptoms of cancer
- General therapeutics and treatment goals
- RPSGB Competencies
- G1 Using expert knowledge and skills to benefit patients
- G8 Obtaining relevant and up-to-date information
- G9 Applying research evidence in practice
- HP1 Selecting/advising on, suitable medication, dose, route, frequency, timing and duration
- HP2 Keeping up-to-date with new products and therapeutic advances
- HP4 Ensuring that the medication prescribed, and the dose, route, frequency, timing and duration, are all appropriate to the patients and their diagnosis
- HP5 Identifying risk factors in relation to the patient’s medication, eg toxicity, availability, bioavailability, administration issues
- HP10 Taking an evidence-based approach to practice
- KSF Competencies
- HWB7 Interventions and treatments
- HWB10 Products to meet health and wellbeing needs
- IK2 Information collection and analysis
Netty Wood, Lead Pharmacist, BOPA Committee Member (Project Lead) - Essex Cancer Network.
Netty Wood, Lead Pharmacist, BOPA Committee Member (Project Lead) - Essex Cancer Network. Last Updated 10 October 2011. Jane Newman, Community Pharmacist - South West Essex. Last Updated 10 October 2011.
Vyan Lancaster, Professional Learning & Development Designer, Professional Capability. Boots UK Ltd. Last Reviewed 13 March 2014.
Netty Wood, Lead Pharmacist, BOPA Committee Member (Project Lead) - Essex Cancer Network. Last Reviewed 13 April 2012.
Jane Newman, Community Pharmacist - South West Essex. Last Reviewed 13 September 2011.
Louise Dark, Principal Pharmacist - Cancer Services, Barts and the London NHS Trust. Last Reviewed 29 September 2011.
Hemi Gokani, Pre-Registration Graduate - Boots, Basildon, Essex. Last Reviewed 15 September 2011.
Kate Kiana, Pharmacy Technician - Medicines Information, Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust. Last Reviewed 14 September 2011.
Elizabeth Towers, GP - Whitley House Surgery, Chelmsford, Essex. Last Reviewed 13 September 2011.
Miss Netty Wood, Lead Author, Lead Pharmacist, BOPA Committee Member (Project Lead) - Essex Cancer Network.
Ms Jane Newman, Author, Community Pharmacist - South West Essex.
Mr Ken Aldred, Patient Representative.
Dr Tan Arulampalam, Laproscopic and General Surgeon - Colchester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Ms Sue Bender, Dispensing Technician - North East Essex.
Mrs Jennie Joyce, Oncology Pharmacist - Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust.
Mrs Sue Kilby, Macmillan Pharmacist - Surrey, West Sussex and Hampshire Cancer Network.
Mr Asim Mirza, Community Pharmacist - Borno Chemists.
Ms Eileen O'Neill, Pharmacy Support - Day Lewis Pharmacy.
Mrs Vicki Saliba, Prescribing Support Pharmacist - North East Essex Primary Care Trust.
Mr Andrew Stanley, Lead Pharmacist - Pan Birmingham Cancer Network.
Mrs Noreen Stoker, Retired Head Teacher and Wife of Cancer Survivor.
Ms Daryl Tonks, Medicines Counter Assistant - North East Essex.
Dr Elizabeth Towers, GP - Whitley House Surgery, Chelmsford, Essex.
Miss Jackie Wallis, Hospital Pharmacist - Colchester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Mr Kevin Western, Community Pharmacist - North East Essex.
Ms Anna Wordley, Nurse Consultant (GI Cancer) - Colchester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Threshold, The Department of Pharmacy, Hertfordshire University. In relation to the production of the video, Essex Cancer Network would like to thank our above partners.
Kieran Scott, Cancer Research UK
Thanks to the above for their permission to use a number of images throughout this module.