Page 1 of 10
The magic bullet
- Haunting the chemotherapy community, and always in the background was the legend of the 'MAGIC BULLET' and the cure for cancer
- This had been described as a drug that would be able to seek out and differentiate cells that where cancerous as opposed to those under going division for growth or repair
- This drug would then attach itself to only these cancer cells and without any damage to other local or systemic tissues kill the cancer cell
Two landmark papers either side of the millennium broke the story and brought this legend a whole lot closer.
- Rituximab – Czuczman MS et al. Journal Clinical Oncology 1999; 17(1): 268 - 76
- Imatinib – Drucker BJ et al. New England Journal Medicine 2001; 344(14): 1038 - 42